Who Cares if you Go to Hell?
While in Bible College, the preacher boys would meet up every Saturday morning to go door knocking. One particular morning, my roommate and I went to visit a neighborhood across the street from the church. We were primarily knocking doors to find kids who wanted to ride the bus on Sundays, but at the same time we were making sure that people heard the gospel when they opened the door.
Out of the all the doors we knocked on that day, there was one young man that I remember very clearly. His family was known around the area as “the atheist family” and they proudly hung demonic decorations on the outside of the house. When the young man that answered the door, he had a glazed look over his face and tried to keep conversation short. He let me explain the gospel to him, although he didn’t seem to be listening much… but I’ll never forget what he said toward the end of our conversation…. After a moment of silence, he looked at me and said, “Seriously man, who cares if I go to hell?”
What a sad statement that is. Although we might not always hear it, I would imagine that this is probably a common thought for an unsaved person. So, it got me thinking… Who cares if you go to hell?
- He gave his son for you – The Bible says that God loves you so much that he sent his only son to die on the cross for your sins! This is a true love that is completely unconditional! “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” – John 3:16
- God’s desires for you to go to heaven – Many people have an inaccurate concept of who God is. People often wonder, “If God is so good, why does he send people to hell?”, but that’s the wrong way to look at it! God designed mankind in a perfect world where he could spend eternity with us, but we chose to sin. Because of that sin, there is separation between God and his creation. So, as a solution, God sent Jesus to pay the price for our sins so that we can have the opportunity to spend eternity with him once again! We have a free will to make the decision concerning our salvation, but God’s desire is for everyone to get saved and avoid hell (Remember, hell was created for Satan… not us!). “The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” – II Peter 3:9
Angels in Heaven Care
- The angels rejoice every time someone gets saved – The angels get excited every time a lost soul accepts Jesus Christ as their savior. It doesn’t matter who the person is, what they have done in the past, or how many got saved… every salvation is celebrated in heaven! – “Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it? And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost. Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.” – Luke 15:8-10
The Unsaved in Hell Care
- Hell is real – The Bible tells a story of a rich man and a beggar that lived outside of his gate (Luke 16:19-20). When the beggar died, he was carried away by angels into Abraham’s bosom, but when the rich man died, the Bible says “And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments.” – Luke 19:23.
- Hell is full of pain and torment – While in hell, the rich man is in immense pain and suffering! He was in so much pain that he asked for just a drop of water to provide some small level of comfort! “And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.” – Luke 19:24
- The rich man didn’t want anyone else to go there – As soon as he realized that there was no hope for himself, he wanted to make sure that no one else ever had to experience what he was experiencing! He wanted Lazarus to go and tell his family how to avoid hell, but it was too late now that he was dead. “Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.” – Luke 19:27-28
This is not a complete list, but these are three people/groups of people that genuinely care about where you spend eternity. Don’t let anyone keep you from salvation! The Bible says that today is the day of salvation!