What A Mighty God We Serve!

Our God is Living!

  • He Speaks – God is known for speaking to His people all throughout the Bible! From Abraham to Moses, God has always been in contact with His believers.  Still today, God has left us with His word, the Bible, so He can communicate with us!
  • He Hears – God always hears His children when they want to talk to Him!  He heard them suffering in Egypt and sent Moses to free them.  If you are saved today, God is wanting to hear from you through prayer!

Three Characteristics of God…

1) God is Love

There is no denying that God is love!  This is the evident theme all throughout the Scriptures.  God loves us so much that He sent His only begotten son to die for our sins so that we could have a chance at eternal life with Him.

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

Not only does God love us, but He loves us unconditionally!

Romans 5:8 “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”

He knew that we would be sinners!  He knew that we wouldn’t always love Him and would often choose the world over Him… but He still died on the cross for us!  That’s true love!

2) God is Merciful

God’s mercy is shown all throughout the Bible!

Hebrews 4:16 “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”

  • He spared Adam and Eve’s life by sacrificing the lamb in the Garden of Eden.
  • He was still willing to use Moses after he had committed murder.
  • He allowed Abraham to talk Him all the way down to 10 righteous people in Sodom and Gomorrah (never said “no”).
  • He used Jonah even after he ran from Him.
  • He used Saul and changed his name to Paul.
  • He used Jacob after he lied to and deceived his dying father.
  • He used Samson even though he betrayed Him several times throughout his life.
  • He used Peter even after he denied Christ three times, gave up on the ministry, and went fishing.

And praise the Lord… He uses me!  All the faults and failures that I have on a daily basis… and He is merciful enough to still want to use me!  God is good!

3) God is Jealous

It’s easy to see how loving and merciful God is, but people often forget just how jealous God can be.  He doesn’t want His people worshiping idols and false gods.  He wants to spend to with them and help them grow closer to Him.

Exodus 20:5 “Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;”

Exodus 34:14 “For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:”

We serve a jealous God!  There are things that He has given to us that He would like us to use for him and not others.  These things include (but aren’t limited to)…

  • Your Time – What do you do with your time?  We all have 24 hours in a day!  Great preachers of the past were able to bring nations to their knees and have thousands saved with their time.  Others use their time from sports and other distractions.  God has given you time… are you giving any back to Him?
  • Your Money – God has given you a good job with money to help take care of your family.  He has supplied all of your needs according to His riches!  He only asks for 10% back!  He wants you to keep the other 90%!  It’s a simple command by God to tithe… how are you handling His money?
  • Your Legacy – Everyone leaves behind a legacy.  You often hear stories at funerals about what people will remember most about a person… that is their legacy!  God has given us the Bible to show us how to live, how to raise our kids, and how to treat others.  Are you attending church faithfully like he wants?  Are you going soul-winning?  Are you the same at home that you are at church?  People are watching you… what are you leaving behind for them?

One Comment on “What A Mighty God We Serve!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: